I fell in love with popovers from the very first time I tried them, just last year! There is something magical about the way the puff up and are almost hollow inside…the perfect little cup for something like egg salad or melty butter or jam.
Basic Popovers (recipe from The Food Network)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus 1 teaspoon room temperature for pan
- 4 3/4 ounces all-purpose flour, approximately 1 cup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk, room temperature
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Grease a 6-cup popover pan with the 1 teaspoon of butter.
Place all of the ingredients into a food processor or blender and process for 30 seconds. Divide the batter evenly between the cups of the popover pan, each should be about 1/3 to 1/2 full. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 40 minutes. Remove the popovers to a cooling rack and pierce each in the top with a knife to allow steam to escape. Serve warm.
The result should be a crispiness on top and a soft, eggy, hollow bread center. Yummy!! Enjoy.